Saturday 27 April 2013

82 YEARS OLD WOMAN CHALLENGED ISRAELI SETTLERS

82-year-old Hebron woman challenges Israeli settlers, troops alone

HEBRON  -- In the heart of the old city of Hebron, an elderly woman insists on staying in her old house despite provocative practices by both settlers and Israeli troops.

Um Salah, 82, said on Thursday she had been living in her house for 70 years, and that she would never leave it except for her grave.

The house, in Khan Shahin neighborhood, next to Shuhada Street which Israeli forces closed to traffic in 2000, is almost like a prison.

“A few days ago, I fell sick and my daughters begged me to go with them for a week only, but I refused and told them I would never leave my house. I want to die in my house,” said Um Salah.

“Since 12 years, this street in Khan Shahin has been isolated from the southern area including Abu Sneina neighborhood, Yatta road, and Bani Naim. The closure of this street has prevented contiguity with half of the Hebron area.

“There were about 500 shops in this farmers’ market, and they used to remain open until 10 in the evening. All the shops have been sealed off by a military order,” says Naji al-Batsh, one of the few residents who remained in the area.

More than 1,000 families left the old city as a result of harassment and provocations by both Israeli settlers and soldiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment